How do we transition between the minimal and the junior categories?
How do I ensure the transition between the minimal and the cadet categories? There are several scenarios that depend on the context in which you operate:
-How do you envision the training of the minors and what consequences for the cadets?
-What is the sports policy of the section?
-What are the financial means of the section?
1- You train the minimals and you are also one of the coaches in junior
So there's a relay. Ideally, you feed specialty groups from cadet. It's a good organization. Maybe the best. However, you have to be available, train often. And get along well with the other coaches:)
2- You train the minors and you are also the coach of the cadets
The means available to your section may not be sufficient to hire other coaches from the cadet category. You have to choose a credo: the one for the combined events is the best suited. The performances will no doubt be there but is the sustainability of the club assured? Who's back if you leave the club? Participation in interclubs uncertain, even to forget.
3- You train the minimals but you will no longer be their coach the following season
This is the situation that is very often found in the general organization of clubs. There are risks:
- a minimal coach or coaching group not at the level: athletes come out of the category without technical background, without confidence. The situation will be very difficult to reverse,
- athletes who would stop because their coach (charismatic) does not continue with them.
These risks must be anticipated and bridge-like approaches considered. Which?
- the minimals train once a week in the same niche of cadets: they see the biggest and "strongest" train,
- the minimals join the speciality groups once a week. For this, the minimals must provide 3 workouts per week. Choose the best and those who have a project!
- the minors go on an internship with the cadets,
- the minimals come to encourage the older ones during the 2 rounds of the interclubs.
As you have guessed, the real debate revolves around this pivotal category, that of the minimal. You win on all levels if the coach is demanding, EXPÉRIMENTÉ and focuses his seasons on the combined events.